Indoor mold is a hazardous fungal infestation that can cause serious property damage and have a negative impact on your health. There are many health research organizations throughout the world who have studied the negative effects of mold. Here are some important and surprising mold health statistics and research you should know from medical researchers and experts in the field.
Health Canada Findings on Mould
Health Canada is one of the country’s leading health research organizations. The group has conducted two major reviews of scientific literature concerning indoor mold, the first in 1995 and another in 2004. Some of the findings from these reports include:
- Indoor mold exposure may cause an increase in asthma-related symptoms such as chronic wheezing and irritation.
- Even though indoor mold exposure does lead to worse asthma-related symptoms, there is no definitive evidence that indoor mold exposure directly leads to the development of asthma.
- The likeliness of experiencing health-related consequences from mold exposure is higher from people with immune-deficiency conditions.
Mould Research From the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
The American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM) is a group dedicated to protecting workplace safety for the medical community through scientific innovation and research. Some of their research findings regarding mold infestations include:
- About 5% of individuals will have some allergic respiratory symptoms from mold exposure, usually manifesting as a runny nose, asthma, or inflammation of the sinuses.
- Uncontrolled mold growth in a residential or commercial environment should not be tolerated because it can destroy the building materials on which it grows.
- Some varieties of mold that grow and are amplified indoors may, under some conditions, produce mycotoxins that can have negative health effects on humans.
Have Mould Removed Quickly and Efficiently with Certified Asbestos Removal
Research has proven that mold is a serious health issue and should be dealt with as soon as it’s detected. For fast, safe and efficient mold remediation services in Calgary and the surrounding area, contact us today at Certified Asbestos Removal.