Fires are devastating to your home or commercial property no matter the size or damage. Although you may want to attempt a quick cleanup by yourself, it’s best left for a professional handle. Fires can impose significant health risks, so it’s important that you treat the fire damage seriously.

Presence of Soot

Soot consists of fine particles, smaller than dust or fine beach sand, as a result of a fire. If not cleaned up correctly, they will remain in your home and cling to walls and ceilings. Breathing in the particles can lead to a variety of respiratory conditions, such as:

  • coronary heart disease
  • asthma
  • bronchitis

In a house fire, there tends to be a lot of soot, as most of the materials are not intended to be burned. Soot production is enhanced if there is a lack of oxygen in the air and often results in the formation of hazardous chemicals. This is frequently the case with an accidental house fire, as it usually initiates indoors. Soot settles into porous materials, making it extremely difficult to remove.

A certified restoration company takes measures to care for the safety of their employees by reducing the exposure to their skin with protective equipment and masks. They will ensure to safely remove all of the soot in your home so you and your family will breathe easier.

Structural Damage

Even if the fire only happened in a small area of your building, the effects are significant on structural safety because fires can impact supporting beams and the foundation balance of your home. If these are weakened, you risk the entire building collapsing. The structural impacts of a fire largely depend on the building materials used in your home. Steel and concrete are the most durable materials, but lose strength when they reach 400°C and 300°C respectively.

After a fire, be sure to call a restoration company promptly to assess the stability of your home.

Mould Growth

Most fires are extinguished using water, which causes significant building damage on its own. Although absolutely necessary to fight flames, water can destroy fragile materials and advances mould growth. To reduce this damage, many restoration companies will use equipment, such as fans and dehumidifiers, to reduce moisture content. Mould thrives in dark, damp places with little air circulation, which makes drywall and wood a primary target after the event of a fire. Black mould is particularly dangerous, as it consists of toxic mould spores. With lengthy exposure, black mould leads to nausea, headaches, and bleeding lungs.

At Certified Asbestos Removal Inc., we are committed to getting your residential or commercial property back to normal as swiftly as possible in the wake of an emergency. Our team is trained to perform the proper assessments required to determine the amount of damage your home has experienced and create a plan to treat your individual repairs. Learn more about our water and fire damage restoration services by calling 403-437-8070 today!