Fire damage is unexpected, terrifying, and can be devastating to your home. Thankfully, there are certain ways you can reduce the risk of a fire ever occurring in your house. In addition to the following tips, you should ensure your home has at least one smoke alarm on each floor, and that all members of your family are aware of a safe escape route in case of a fire.
From the fire damage experts at Certified Asbestos, here are a few tips for preventing house fires:
- Be Extra Vigilant in the Kitchen
The kitchen is one of the most common places for house fires to start. Your stove, oven, microwave, and electronic kitchen appliances are all potential sources of fire, and should be used cautiously and only by adults. When cooking on the stove or in the oven, ensure you have a timer nearby so as not to forget your food.
- Refrain from Smoking Indoors
Smoking indoors is another common cause of house fires. Most of the time, these fires occur because smouldering cigarette butts have come in contact with a flammable surface, like a blanket or cushion. The easiest way to avoid the problem is to smoke outside. It will significantly reduce the fire risk in your home, and keep your indoor air clean and healthy.
- Give Heaters Space
During the winter, heaters are one of the leading causes of house fires. To work effectively and safely, baseboard heaters require at least three feet of space on either side. Ensure no curtains, blankets, furniture, or appliances are touching the heater. If you have a fireplace in your home, ensure the chimney is inspected annually.
- Switch out Traditional Candles for Electric
An open flame is an invitation for disaster. Instead of using traditional open-flame candles and lights, consider switching them out for electric units. Although they may not give off the same rustic charm, electric lights will quell your anxieties and keep your air fresh and clean.
- Teach Children About Fire Safety
Parents have a responsibility to educate their children about the dangers of fire, and how to react in the case of an emergency. If taught from a young age, children will learn to respect fire, and how to detect dangerous signs and signals around the home.
Smoke and fire damage can result in discoloration of furniture and valuable possessions, a strong, unpleasant odour, and the release of harmful chemicals. At Certified Asbestos, we understand how disruptive this type of damage can be.
If you and your family have been victim to a house fire, our expert team can help. We’re dedicated to making the restoration process as stress-free, efficient, and thorough as possible. For more information about our smoke and fire restoration services, get in touch today.