Even with today’s advances in technology, humans are still no match for the quick spread of fire. It’s unpredictable and causes you thousands of dollars’ worth of damage. That’s why it’s important to be aware of preventative measures, such as continually cleaning your home and potential fire hazards.
The Certified Asbestos fire damage experts have listed common causes of house fires:
People often get distracted when cooking because they’re doing too much at once, or because they’re paying attention to their phone or television instead of what’s on the stove. They forget that being in the kitchen is like being in a lab with components that react with each other. Remaining in the kitchen with a timer set and focusing on the tasks at hand will ensure your safety.
Many smoke in the house, particularly during the winter months, and they leave the cigarette butt burning because they plan to return to it later. But what people may not realize is that cigarette butts continue to burn for several hours and can create a fire if they end up on furniture, paper, and other flammable materials. Putting the cigarette out is the safest practice.
Whether it’s for aroma therapy or a power outage, candles should not be left unattended. It’s best to keep them away from flammable objects, like paper and tissue, and to place them on a plate if they don’t already come with a stand. When you leave the room, simply blowing out the candle will save you from having your world turned upside-down.
Fire is still seen as a magical element, so when children get their hands on matches, they experiment. Educating your children will prepare them for emergencies and prevent damages to your home.
5. Electrical Equipment
An overload of electricity and frayed wires on toasters or coffee machines are common fire producers. Double check your electrical appliances before making a purchase and test the sockets around your home as you would for smoke detectors.
In addition to the tips provided above, it’s important to protect your home and your family with practicing a quick escape route, as well as test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Faulty wiring and heating equipment should also be checked and replaced if found inadequate. When you think of your home’s safety, don’t forget the exterior because equipment outside the home, like barbecues, can also cause fires.
At Certified Asbestos, our expert teams know that they are doing more than cleaning up and restoring your home—they’re restoring your life. With 15 years of experience, we’ve provided a proficient and speedy service to over 100 clients located in Calgary.
For more about our services, consult our website, or contact us today if you have any questions or concerns.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.