When dealing with toxic mould, you’re inevitably putting your health at risk. Attempting a household mould removal on your own might help you save money, but it can be extremely dangerous. When released into the air by a cloth or scrub brush, mould spores can pose a serious risk to your health.

Here are a few common mistakes that might make you think twice about performing a DIY mould removal:

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

If you can’t see it, you don’t have mould, right? Wrong. Unfortunately, too many people are guilty of this common mistake. Just because the mould isn’t visible around your home, does not mean it isn’t there. The worst and most dangerous mould usually hides in places like attics, ceilings, under tiling or other types of flooring, and deep in your walls.

Using the Wrong Chemicals

If you’re attempting a DIY mould removal procedure, you likely don’t know which types of chemicals or cleaners to use. Many people use bleach to kill mould—another common mistake.  Although bleach can help dissolve mould from hard surfaces, it is ineffective on porous, textured surfaces.

Some chemicals, when used improperly, can be a health risk to you, your family, and your pets. If you’re not sure which chemicals to use, it’s best to speak to a professional.

Failure to Finish the Job

After vigorously scrubbing away at the mould along your windowsill, it may appear to be gone, but there is a high chance you missed a spot. In order to properly resolve a mould problem, all visible and invisible mould spores must be killed. Mould usually forms as a result of excessive moisture. If you do not remove or fix this moisture problem, the mould will inevitably return.

Accidentally Spreading Spores

Professionals know how to remove mould without spreading it to other parts of your home. If you’re attempting this on your own, there’s a high chance the mould spores will become airborne. Without the proper containment equipment and negative airflow setup, you risk infecting other parts of your home with mould.

Covering it With Paint

After cleaning household mould, many people think painting over it with mould-resistant paint will forever stop the problem. Despite the paint, there is still a chance the mould will grow, spreading like wildfire until you discover it.

If you discover mould in your home, you must deal with it properly. Toxic mould is a serious health risk to you, your family, and your pets. In these situations, it’s always best to consult with a professional. The professionals at Certified Asbestos Removal can help.

For more information about our services and to have your property inspected for mould, contact us today at Certified Asbestos Removal.