Mould can be found in all corners of the planet. Its patchy, bluish-brown, and fuzzy texture, and pungent, earthy smell is recognizable anywhere. Although not all types of mould are dangerous, there are a few that can cause serious health effects. Whether there is mould in your walls, ceiling, attic, or under your floorboards, its spores can be toxic and cause damaging and even lethal effects on the body.
Here are a few common illnesses caused by mould to watch out for:
Asthma and Allergies
Allergies are the body’s adverse response to a substance that comes in contact with the skin, is inhaled, or ingested. Mould spores are invisible particles released into the air that can easily be ingested. Although there are several types of mould, only a few cause allergic reactions, often worse in people suffering from asthma. Symptoms of a mould allergy include coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, a running nose, sneezing, and swollen or itchy eyes. Some occupations put employees at a higher risk of developing a mould allergy. Due to their working environments, farmers, loggers, mill workers, carpenters, winemakers, and greenhouse employees are all at risk of mould exposure, and should take all precautions necessary to avoid coming in contact with it.
Aspergillosis is a disease caused by Aspergillus fumigatus; a toxic type of mould that forms airborne spores and is easily inhaled by human beings. This disease is not uncommon among individuals with weakened immune systems, like those undergoing cancer treatment or with cystic fibrosis. Aspergillosis can affect the lungs, air passages, and in severe cases, the bloodstream. Depending on the specific strain of the disease, symptoms can include fever, chills, shock, increased mucus, chest pain, coughing blood, and even kidney or liver failure.
This condition involves the inflammation of the lungs caused by a hyper-responsive allergic reaction to a large inhalation of bacteria, dust, or mould spores. Symptoms present themselves a few hours after exposure, and can last anywhere from 12 hours to several days. It’s common for people afflicted with hypersensitivity pneumonitis to mistake the illness as a common flu. Symptoms include a dry cough, trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fatigue, and fever and chills. If you suspect your symptoms are caused by hidden mould in your home, get in touch with a mould removal specialist immediately.
Mould isn’t all bad. It contributed to the discovery of penicillin, is responsible for creating some of the best cheeses in the world, and helps break down organic matter and return it to the soil. There are a few types of mould, however, that can pose a serious and damaging health risk to you and your family. If you think you have a mould problem in your home, it’s imperative you get in touch with us at Certified Asbestos Removal as soon as possible. We offer a thorough and efficient service to ensure you and your family stay safe and healthy. Contact us today!